Sunday, June 3, 2012

Homemade Biscuits

Once you get the hang of making homemade biscuits you can   whipthese out just about as fast as you can Whop and pop canned biscuits. This is a tried-and-true generational recipe. Standing next to my mom and grandmother in the kitchen while watching carefully, I learned to make these. Like them, I don't measure my ingredients now...it's a "you just know" how-it-will-turn-out recipe and it's a recipe meant to be shared and passed along.

2 cups self-rising flour
I only use White Lily flour because it is what my Mom and Grandma Hall always used so why mess with a good thing and I would hate to cause Grandma to spin in her grave.

1/4 cup shortening or lard (really and truly...lard is BEST)






Cut shortening into flour using a pastry cutter until flour looks like corn meal.

1 cup of  buttermilk or sweet milk (sweet milk is just another name for regular milk for you modern folks). If you don't have buttermilk just add 1or 2 T. lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk to substitute). Most recipes call for 3/4 cup milk in the recipe but I always use one cup because the biscuits are just, well, better!

Add buttermilk and stir gently into flour mixture.

Tip: Don't over-stir
- it'll make your biscuits tough. Dump the biscuit mixture onto a lightly floured surface and carefullly work the dough so it's covered in flour. Tip: Here's where most mess up when making biscuits...they knead the dough like they are making a loaf of bread. Lord have mercy, don't do that! Who wants to eat rocks? Just turn the dough enough into the flour so it's not a sticky mess.

Gently flatten the dough with your hands so it's about 3/4" thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. I usually just pinch the dough into a ball and





flatten it out in the pan with my hands but even I have to admit cutting with a biscuit cutter looks better on camera.
Place in a well-greased pan or cast iron skillet.

Bake in a 450 degree oven until they are golden brown - about 15 or so minutes.

Nothin' better than homemade biscuits, butter and HONEY
and maybe a big ole glass of sweet iced tea to wash it all down

3 comments:

  1. I love you guys!! Makes me want to make biscuits. Reckon Ed would trade honey for some beercheese? Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those biscuits look delicious. I might need a lesson someday soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete